Before you know it, spring will officially be here: That can only mean one thing.... it's brevet time!
It's time to get yourself ready for a solid season, and there is no better way to do it than with a long, steady base ride. The Kansas City Ultra Cycling Brevet series is the way to get that big, big mileage base to support your hard training to come, racers!
Not a racer? No problem! You don't have to have a big racing goal, or anything like that, to enjoy a nice, long spin in the rural reaches of this fine area. Brevets are "timed tours", so they're perfect for getting out and seeing a lot of the countryside from a bike, while still participating in an organized and recognized event that can get you a shiny medal. That's right, these aren't t-shirt rides... you get a real, substantial, beautifully detailed medal from the Audax Club Parisien after your ride is certified. Quite literally, you can collect the whole set; completing the series of a 200, 300, 400 and 600 kilometer brevets qualifies you for the coveted SUPER Randonneur award!
Here is this year's brevet schedule:
- March 28th, 2009 - 200km - Kansas City, KS., to Linwood, to Ottawa, and back.
- April 11th, 2009 - Fleche - a 24-hour Team event - see http://kcbrevets.blogspot.com for details.
- April 25th, 2009 - 300km - Liberty, MO., to Stewartsville, to Albany, MO., and back.
- May 9th, 2009 - 400km - Liberty, MO., to..... TBA! Exciting NEW route!!!
- May 23rd, 2009 - 600km - Grandview, MO., to La Cygne, KS., to Appleton City, MO., to Weableau, MO., and back!
- June 7th, 2009 - 1,000km! - Santa Fe, NM to Herington, KS.!!! Take the train to Santa Fe, and ride back!
Visit http://kcbrevets.blogspot.com for more details and ride organizer contact information.
(RUSA membership required for brevet participation - join @ http://www.rusa.org)
If you have any questions about the above or want to know more about this exciting sport, contact me via the comments on this post - or ANY post, for that matter. I'm happy to help you get started, and fill in any blanks you might have.
It's addictive, it's challenging, it's not a race, but it's no "Sunday stroll", either.
Pump up your tires and hit the road towards a new challenge in 2009!
No goal, no glory!