A few high-points, however:
- some of the best sunrises in recent memory
- some of the best sunsets in recent memory
- laying to rest all of the "fit and leg issues" of the past 9 months
- feeling very strong again and seeing average speeds (like they matter on a commute) increase steadily
- seeing the number of cyclists encountered to/from work increase
- seeing that nothing has changed in the "wave-back ratio" department, unless panniers are involved
2011, as far as randonneuring, has been a big "zero" so-far. I don't like the self-imposed feeling of trying too hard with regards to long-distance riding any more than you probably don't like reading about it - but, I also don't like saying "can't" or "quit", so I find myself at-odds quite a lot. I still feel strongly that I have unfinished business with regards to personal goals and self-fulfillment - and that's all it's really about. The attraction is as palpable as it was the first day I cracked past 100 miles and kept going.
Perhaps the pull is becoming stronger again as I approach the big "four-oh" landmark in my life. All of the dreaming and banter over beers in the past decade and not having made good on it quite yet - albeit for the right reasons - is perhaps the swansong of everyone that ever picked up anything and considered it more than a hobby. Where do I take this introspect? Do I put it on the webpage for all to see? Can anyone learn from it? Does it even help *me*? If anything, the last year has refocused my desire to live healthy, and get back to that "fighting weight" - and I know its exhausting to read sometimes, but I need to do it. I am still a strong believer in the "if it doesn't kill you..." paradigm, and I'm still very much alive at this writing. Be warned - when it comes to the bike, I'm relentless.
I think a good, long ride will do me some good - and, for once, it sounds like fun... not forced.
Strength - it's coming, and all I need is a free weekend to open up to let the doors of long-distance riding swing open! Oh, look -- a 3-day weekend....